Spay and Neuter in Holmdel, NJ
We want only the best for the community we serve in Holmdel and all surrounding areas. Part of your pet’s comprehensive health plan includes guidance on spay and neuter surgery for dogs and cats. This important procedure comes with many benefits, but is performed best at just the right time for your pet. Contact us to learn more and how we go above and beyond for pets and their people.
Benefits of Dog and Cat Spay and Neuter
When your female pet is spayed or your male pet is neutered, they receive many health-related benefits. You’ll also enjoy a better quality of life right along with them, since there are many associated behavioral benefits. So, when your pet is happy at home instead of trying to escape to find a mate, you won’t have to worry about them becoming lost or injured.
Both male and female pets enjoy benefits:
- In females, unwanted pregnancies are eliminated.
- The chances of developing ovarian and uterine cancers are greatly reduced in females.
- Mammary gland tumors are less likely to occur in females.
- Any chance of testicular cancer is eliminated in male pets.
- Prostate problems are significantly reduced in male pets.
- Mounting behavior is reduced or eliminated in male pets.
- Male and female pets are less likely to roam.
- Urine spraying behavior is reduced or eliminated in males and females.
The Best Time to Spay or Neuter Your Dog or Cat
Generally, most dogs and cats can be spayed or neutered by six months old. Depending on your pet’s lifestyle, you may want to spay female pets before their first heat cycle. Also, this ensures that they will receive some of the maximum medical benefits associated with being spayed. Additionally, it’s best to have pets undergo the procedure after they’ve lost all retained baby teeth. This ensures that dental disease from baby teeth doesn’t spread to adult teeth.
Most of all, the best time for spay or neuter in each pet depends on a variety of factors. Only a veterinarian can properly weigh all these factors to make the most out of your pet’s health. If you have a new puppy or kitten, contact us to schedule an appointment. We’re happy to advise you on a health plan, including the best time for spay and neuter surgery, vaccinations, parasite prevention and more. Contact us to make an appointment today. We look forward to helping you both.